REAL PEOPLE | REAL ISSUES
BidSettle.com’s mission was born because our founders refused to accept the status quo and the unacceptable in-access to justice for the average person, such as themselves. Although BidSettle.com isn’t a law firm, it was indeed created by two lawyers. Here is how the story goes:
March 2015, Montreal
“I don’t know about you, but I didn’t become a lawyer to only serve the interest of corporations and rich people.”
“Lawyers are still working like they did hundreds of years ago, like artisans. It’s no surprise that they can’t offer simple and affordable solutions…”
“Things aren’t even moving in the right direction, our institutions are only doing incremental changes that won’t really change anything. Why can’t technology get into the driver’s seat when it comes to rendering legal services? People deserve better.”
“It seems that every other industry is offering affordable do-it-yourself services…. Why can’t we?”
- 2015: Phil and Alex meet and discuss the future of law and BidSettle’s guiding principles are established.
- 2016: BidSettle.com is launched in Quebec.
- 2016: BidSettle wins the first prize at the “OSEntreprendre” competition for the Montreal region.
- 2017: BidSettle.com is available all across Canada.
- 2017: A few awards: BidSettle.com wins the “mérite du Barreau du Québec” for innovation and access to justice. The business also wins the 2nd prize at the “La Ruche Académie Desjardins” competition, in Quebec City, as well as the first prize at the GrindSpace XL / Queen’s University accelerator, in Kingston, Ontario.
- 2017: In a few months, the business has helped over 1000 clients.
- 2018: BidSettle.com is one of the 5 finalists at the international “The Pitch” competition, in Toronto, sponsored by the Canadian Bar Association.