REAL PEOPLE | REAL ISSUES
BidSettle.com’s mission was born because our founders refused to accept the status quo and the unacceptable in-access to justice for the average person. Here is how the story goes:
- 2010: Disappointed with the practice of law, Alex leaves his practice and returns to university to get an economic sense of why legal services are so inaccessible.
- 2013-2015: Working under the Quebec Bar, he becomes responsible for the future of law and statistics. Through conferences and ad hoc groups, Alex is responsible for writing reports about these issues.
- 2014 : Also disappointed with the way legal services are rendered to the general public, Philippe leaves his comfortable legal position to start his first legal tech company.
- 2015: Phil and Alex meet at a fundraiser and a conversation sets forth the guiding principles of BidSettle. Here is how it went down:
“I don’t know about you, but I didn’t become a lawyer to only serve the interest of corporations and rich people.”
“Don’t we all have that feeling. I wasn’t sold law that way. If I would have known… Doesn’t even seem that we are respecting the oath we took. But, we are stuck… Its always been done this way.”
“That’s exactly the problem, we still work like lawyers did hundreds of years ago, we are still artisans, we do everything by hand. How can we sell affordable services this way?”
“Things aren’t even moving in the right direction, our institutions are only doing incremental changes that won’t really change anything. People should have us work harder to get there.”
“But it seems that every other industry is offering affordable do-it-yourself services…. Why can’t we?”
“The only thing we need to do is to keep it simple.”
- 2016 : BidSettle was born.
- 2017: BidSettle.com is available all across Canada.
- 2017: More than 1000 people have used the service and saved their hard earned money.